Supplement to An Overview of Organic Crop Production History and Philosophy of Organic Agriculture
Many of the foundational books on organic farming are out of print, but they should not be too difficult to locate through interlibrary loan or a good used bookstore. A few resources currently available are:
- The Soil and Health Library at <http://soilandhealth.org/index.html> features many old titles on-line. Among them are Albert Howard's An Agricultural Testament and Soil and Health, Eve Balfour's Toward a Sustainable Agriculture - The Living Soil, and Newman Turner's Fertility Farming.
- Copies of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, Louis Bromfield's Pleasant Valley, and William Albrecht's bound papers are available from the Acres USA Bookshelf, P.O. Box 91299, Austin, TX 78709. 800-3555315 (toll free), 512-892-4400, FAX: 512-892-4448, <http://www.acresusa.com.>
Several contemporary books on organic agriculture and organic soil management that deserve mention include the following:
- Organic Farming, by Nicholas Lampkin. 701 p. A highly comprehensive book on organics published in England.
- Successful Small-Scale Farming, by Karl Schwenke. 134 p. A low-capital approach to organic farming.
- The New Organic Grower, by Eliot Coleman. One of the best books available on intensive organic market gardening.
- How To Grow More Vegetables, by John Jeavons. 201 p. The classic book on biointensive mini-farming.
- Edaphos, by Paul Sachs. 197 p. Does an excellent job of creating a unified whole out of the various theories and methods of ecological growing.
The above books are all available from Acres USA Bookshelf, P.O. Box 91299, Austin, TX 78709. 800-355-5315 (toll free), 512-892-4400, FAX: 512-892-4448, <http://www.acresusa.com>. Catalog available.
- The Soul of Soil, by Grace Gershuny & Joseph Smillie. 174 p. A very good basic book on understanding soils and fertility from an organic perspective. Available for $16.95 plus $6.00 s&h from : Chelsea Green publishing, c/o Resolution, Inc., P.O. Box 2284, South Burlington, VT 05407. 800-639-4099 (toll-free), <http://www.chelseagreen.com>.
- Building Soils for Better Crops, by Fred Magdof and Harold van Es. 240 p. Practical information on soil management to boost fertility and yields while reducing environmental impacts and pest pressures. Available for $19.95 plus $3.95 s&h from: Sustainable Agriculture Publications, 210 Hills Bldg., U. of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0082. 802-656-0484, <http://www.sare.org/publications/>.
Was this article helpful?