Say It With Plants
Drop a fellow gardener a line with a stylish, botanically correct card from one of these new lines
 Illustrated by members of the Florilegium Society of the
Brooklyn Botanic Garden, these cards are an outgrowth of the society's project to document the plants in the garden. Each image is so detailed it could be framed to make a miniature botanical print.The plant name and location in the garden and artist's name are on the back of each (pictured, Magnolia 'Elizabeth'
by Mary Ryniec). Boxed set of 20 cards: four each of five different illustrations, blank inside, $12.95. Call 718-623-7280 or see www.bbg.org.  Using a technique that has its roots in the early days of photography, artist Lois Bender of Flora Bloom GardenSpirits places herbs, leaves and flowers on photographic paper and exposes it to light, creating haunting images with out using a camera.The electric pastel colors printed on translucent paper give the note cards a couture look. Eight cards, each a different design, packaged in a clear-plastic envelope or sheer-fabric pouch, $14. Call 212-249-6225 or see www.gardenspiritsdesign.com.  Using old botanical drawings as reference, Eloquent Ink gives a contemporary twist to a traditional style, turning antique prints into pop art with a handmade look (pictured, zinnia). Eloquent Ink was formed a year ago by two friends, a filmmaker/gardener and a Harvard grad/ stay-at-home mom. Cards available in nine designs, in ruby red, forest green and dark blue.Wrapping paper and gift tags also available. See www.eloquentink.com under "purchase" for retail sources.—JA
- To enter the ASLA/Garden Design Residential Awards program: Please fill out the form below and return it by February 10,2006, to Garden Design, 460 N. Orlando Ave., Suite 200,Winter Park, FL 32789.A binder to contain your completed entry and directions for filling it out will be mailed to you. For a more detailed entry form and eligibility requirements, see the ASLA Web site, www.asla.org.You may also enter the program following instructions on the ASLA Web site.
- Eligibility: Individuals, firm owners or other entities are eligible as long as the creative team includes at least one landscape architect, a graduate of a landscape architecture program or a faculty member of a landscape architecture program.
- Types of projects: This category recognizes built, site-specific works of landscape architecture for residential use. Entries are encouraged in all scales of design from small gardens to estates, including features such as family activity areas, sustainable landscape applications, native landscapes, affordable landscape concepts and rooftop gardens. Entries will be judged on quality of the design, its implementation and its innovative "lesson value" to the profession and homeowners; context or relationship to its surroundings; and environmental sensitivity and sustainability.
- Fees and deadline: Return the attached form and a fee of $250 for ASLA members, $500 for nonmem-bers (fee includes one-year membership to ASLA), payable to ASLA Fund. Deadline for entry form is February 10,2006.You will be mailed an entry binder and instructions for completing it; your complete entry is due February 24, 2006.
- More details: Please see the Web site of the American Society of Landscape Architects, www.asla.org.
THE ASLA/GARDEN DESIGN
Was this article helpful?