Mutch ado about mutch Benefits of mulching
Mulch is an expert at stacking functions (multitasking). Here are a few ways that mulch benefits your sustainable landscape:
- Saves water: A couple of inches of mulch can cut your water use by at least half and greatly increase the intervals between waterings. Note that mulch must be coarser-textured than the soil beneath it in order to get the full water-saving benefits.
- Reduces plant stress: Mulch insulates roots from heat and cold in addition to adding and retaining nutrients.
- Keeps weeds down: Weeds can't get a foothold in mulched soil, and the few weeds that do come up are weak and easy to pull out.
- Protects the soil: Mulch eliminates compaction and crusting of the valuable topsoil layer. Beneficial soil microorganisms get what they need under a cover of organic matter.
- Improves the soil: As organic mulches slowly decompose, they release their nutrients into the system. They also harbor beneficial soil fungi whose mycelium (a structure similar to a root system) helps open the soil and improve its structure.
- Eliminates damaging soil cultivation: Tilling, digging, and violent weeding become things of the past, which allows soil structure to develop unmolested as it should.
- Improves water penetration: Because the soil is open, it accepts water much more easily. Roots get more of the water because less of it runs into the street.
- Eliminates surface erosion: Soil can't wash away in a rainstorm if it's snuggled under mulch. It stays where it belongs.
- Prevents soil splashing: Mud that splatters up onto plants often carries diseases. Mulch keeps it in place.
- Creates a mud-free, dust-free, walkable surface: No more slogging through the muck after a rain with gobs of earth sticking to your shoes. No more dirt tracked into the house by kids, dogs, and husbands. And no more dust storms on windy days.
- Hides drip tubing: Drip irrigation is great, but frankly even I think it's pretty unattractive. Mulch makes it disappear.
- Makes the yard pretty. Just as making the bed is the easiest way to straighten up a bedroom, mulching instantly dresses your garden up.
Was this article helpful?
How would you like to save a ton of money and increase the value of your home by as much as thirty percent! If your homes landscape is designed properly it will be a source of enjoyment for your entire family, it will enhance your community and add to the resale value of your property. Landscape design involves much more than placing trees, shrubs and other plants on the property. It is an art which deals with conscious arrangement or organization of outdoor space for human satisfaction and enjoyment.
Get My Free Ebook