Choosing materials to compost
What you put in the compost pile is up to you; just remember that it needs to be from an organic material. Here's a short list of possibilities:
- Hay, straw, pine needles, leaves, yard trimmings, and weeds
- Kitchen scraps (eggshells, old bread, and vegetable and fruit scraps)
- Manure (except dog, cat, pig, or human)
- Sawdust and wood chips
- Shredded newspaper
Avoid adding the following to your compost bin:
- Kitchen scraps containing meat, oil, fish, dairy products, and bones (They attract unwanted animals, such as rats and raccoons.)
- Weeds that have gone to seed or that spread by their roots, such as quack grass
- Diseased or insect-infested vegetable or flower plants
- Herbicide-treated grass clippings or weeds
- Dog, cat, pig, or human feces
Was this article helpful?
Have you always wanted to grow your own vegetables but didn't know what to do? Here are the best tips on how to become a true and envied organic gardner.
Get My Free Ebook