For large and ambitious projects

Most garden ponds don't need planning permission. But if you are making a very large pond, if it is close to your boundary (especially if this is a road or footpath) or on agricultural land, contact your planning officer and ask for advice. Officers are almost always helpful and often interested in ponds themselves.

If you are going to take water from a river or stream or discharge water into one, you will require a licence from the Environment Agency. In any case, if your garden is on the flood plain of a river, you must consult the Environment Agency, especially over the removal of spoil.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment