Description Of Commercially Available Species
- caerulea The yellow-green leaves resemble an elongated oval. They attain lengths of up to 2.4 in. (6 cm). Flower color ranges from violet to blue-violet with dark veins. (Photo 5-3)
- colimensis Summer leaves are egg-shaped. The winter leaves are similar in outline except thicker. Flower color is pinkish purple. The diameter of the rosette can reach 3 in. (8 cm).
- gypsicola The distinctively shaped, light green summer leaves are subulate terminating in a rounded point and are about 2.5 in. (6.4 cm) long. In the fall small leaves are produced, forming the winter rosette of spathulate-shaped leaves. Flower color is purple.
- ionantha The green leaves are oblong with rounded tips and may be up to 3.2 in. (8 cm) long. Flower color ranges from white to violet. P. ionantha is distinguished from P. primuliflora by their floral characteristics. The petals of the former are longer than broad while the petals of P. primuliflora are as broad or broader than long and have a ring of white just above the corolla tube.
- longifolia The yellow-green leaves are elongated elliptical, taper to the wide petiole and have a wavy margin. Flower color varies from purple to lavender with white areas. (Photo 5-4)
- moranensis (Former name P. caudata) Summer leaves are long egg-shaped. The diameter of the rosette can reach 7 in. (18 cm). Winter leaves are spathula-shaped and succulent. The large flowers range in color from white to pink to purple. (Photo 5-5)
- planifolia The elliptical shaped leaves are up to 3.2 in. (8 cm) long. They are green to dark maroon in color which varies with the intensity of sunlight. Flower color ranges from blue-violet to purple to white. Petal shape is distinctive in that the petals are much longer than broad and deeply incised.
- primuliflora The green elliptical leaves reach lengths of up to 3.5 in. (9 cm). Flowers are violet with a ring of white coloration just along the corolla tube, distinguishing it from the violet flowers of P. ionantha.
- pumila The egg-shaped, light green leaves terminate in a point. They are about 0.4 in. (1 cm) long. Flowers are violet to white.
Was this article helpful?