Laboratory Topic Bioprospecting For Medicinal Plants
EXERCISE A: INVESTIGATING HERBAL REMEDIES WITH THE SHRIMP BIOASSAY
- Purchase live brine shrimp Anemia) or cysts from Carolina Biological, Ward's, or the local aquarium store. If you choose, hatching brine shrimp is extremely easy. Using Instant Ocean (also available from the same sources), prepare a 1.022 specific gravity salt-water solution (approximately 9 tablespoons) in a 1-gallon aquarium. Purchase an inexpensive Aquarium Systems Scatest Specific Gravity meter (marine hydrometer» from Ward's to achieve the correct specific gravity. Aerate to keep cvst.s in suspension. Maintain temperature between 28°C and 30°C. Hatching will take 24—*8 hours. To harvest, use a lamp to attract the positively phototactic shrimp. Collect with a fine mesh net.
- Purchase aquarium tubing, 4-gang valves, nets and pumps from Carolina Biological, Ward's, or the local aquarium store.
- Two-dram vials may be purchased from Carolina Biological.
- Obtain dried herbs from a health food store, or collect them fresh from the field and allow to air-dry for at least a week. T his will concentrate the active principles and make it easier to grind the plant material into a fine powder.
- The green tea extract was made from the contents of a green tea bag. Cranberry extract was made by grinding up pills of pure cranberry juice concentrate. Bodi showed biological activity.
Calendula flowers, valerian root, purple coneflowcr, goldenseal, and ginseng prepared from dried herbs did show some biological activity.
Was this article helpful?
You Might Just End Up Spending More Time In Planning Your Greenhouse Than Your Home Don’t Blame Us If Your Wife Gets Mad. Don't Be A Conventional Greenhouse Dreamer! Come Out Of The Mould, Build Your Own And Let Your Greenhouse Give A Better Yield Than Any Other In Town! Discover How You Can Start Your Own Greenhouse With Healthier Plants… Anytime Of The Year!
Get My Free Ebook