Coffee is made by seeping in boiling water the roasted and ground beans ( seeds) of the coffee tree. There are many species of coflec trees, but the commercially important ones arc Cofjca arabica, C. caucpbora (robiista)y and C. liberies.
- Examine the living coffee trees with flowers and fruits. What is the composition, arrangement, and venation pattern of the leaves?
- What arc the number of sepals, petals, stamens, and carpels? Is the flower regular or irregular? Monocot or dicot? .
- If present, examine the coffee fruit, callcd a cherry. Is it fleshy or dry? Determine the fruit type.
- If present, examine the flowers of the coflec tree. Arc the flowers terminal (at the end of branches) or axillary (in the axile of leaves)? Do the flowers have a scent? is die scent fragrant, musty, foul, or other? Do you think coffee (lowers are wind or animal pollinated? Why?
- The flavor and aroma of a cup of coffee depend much upon the roasting of the beans. Light roasts are produced at lower temperatures (212-218°C /414-424°F) than are dark roasts (240-250" C/464-482°E.) As the temperature of roasting increases, sugars caramelize, turning the seed from the color of ivory to dark brown. At the highest temperatures, carbonization begins as the sugars burn, and carbon darkens the bean further. Compare the beans from several different types of roasts. Arrange the beans from light to dark roasts, and record the color of the beans in the following space.
Appendix OA Taster's Sampi>:r of Caiteine Beveaghs and Foods
6. The best coffee is grown in the cooler climate of sub tropical and tropical highlands where there is plentiful rainfall and no danger of killing frost. Examine several brands of coffee, and list the premier areas of coffee cultivation.
ken pekoe souchong, broken orange pekoe, tannings, and dust. Broken orange pekoe is much sought after as it is a very small size and contains the leaf tip. In green tea, buds, unopened young leaves, are highly prized.
- Prepare a proper pot of tea. Bring water to boil. Add a small amount of boiling water to the empty tea pot. Swiri to warm die pot. and then discard die water. Add 1 level teaspoon of loose tea for every 8 ounce cup of water. For black teas, let the infusion seep for 3 5 minutes. Oolong teas require more time, from 5-12 minutes. Green teas are ready after a minute or two. Using a tea strainer, pour the tea into individual cups.
- Examine a variety of teas, and determine whether they arc black, oolong, or green.
- Coffee can be prepared in a variety of ways. Knjoy and sample several coffee preparations (e.g., espresso, latte, cappuccino, caffe mocha), and write how they arc prepared, in the following space:
- Examine a variety of loose teas, and see if you can distinguish some of these grades.
Was this article helpful?
You Might Just End Up Spending More Time In Planning Your Greenhouse Than Your Home Don’t Blame Us If Your Wife Gets Mad. Don't Be A Conventional Greenhouse Dreamer! Come Out Of The Mould, Build Your Own And Let Your Greenhouse Give A Better Yield Than Any Other In Town! Discover How You Can Start Your Own Greenhouse With Healthier Plants… Anytime Of The Year!
Get My Free Ebook